INTRODUCING…Heroine Anna Blanc.
1. What is your name? Do you have a nickname?
Anna Virginie Blanc, and yes I am virginal, regrettably. I have an alias that I used when I bought off my chaperone and secretly took a job as a police matron with the LAPD—Assistant Matron Anna Holmes.
2. Who is your best friend? What kinds of things do you do when you’re together?
I have two. Clara Breedlove and her husband Theo. They are young and blissfully married. We play flag football, drink whiskey, order clothes from Paris, play bridge for money. Clara was the go-between in my secret engagement to Louis Taylor, carrying notes and such.
I’m probably a bad influence…
3. If you have a family, how do you get along with them? If you don’t, are there people in your life that you consider family? How do you get along with them?
My mother is dead. My father is tyrannical. Anything worth doing must be done behind his back. When it comes to marriage, he’d happily sell me to the highest bidder. Our housekeeper raised me, together with the nuns at convent school. Clara is the only one who really loves me.
4. Do you have a birthmark? Scars? Where is it/are they? How did you get it/them?
I have a birthmark on my bottom. I do have scars, but if I told you how I got them, it would spoil the plot.
5. When you’re angry, what do you do? Where do you go? How do you deal with your anger?
It depends who’s watching. Sometimes, I swallow it like a lady. Other times, I break chairs.
6. If you had to make me a meal right now, without going to the store, what would you find in your refrigerator to feed us?
I’d have the staff serve us pink soup with marrow balls. If I had to feed us myself, I’d serve canned kippers and Cracker Jacks.
7. What’s the one thing you’re afraid of losing?
My reputation, my money, my fiancé, Clara. I’m risking it all to do what I love—police work. But I have to quit soon or I’m going to get caught in my double life and lose everything.
8. What makes you laugh out loud?
My own jokes.
9. Has anyone broken your heart? Who was s/he?
Two men have broken my heart. The first was Louis Taylor, a man I eloped with. My father apprehended us mere minutes after the ceremony. He had the marriage annulled and paid Louis to go away. But my father was right. Louis was a gold-digger.
The second time . . . well that would be a spoiler.
10. What’s the one thing you want out of life that you don’t think you can have? Why can’t you have it?
I want to be a real detective, but the cops won’t hire a woman, no matter that she is the smartest, bravest one on the force. Also, though I’m a celebrated beauty, I don’t believe any man will truly love me. No man ever has.
Be sure to come back to read more about Anna, Jennifer Kincheloe, and her novel, THE SECRET LIFE OF ANNA BLANC, on Wednesday’s Karen’s Killer Book Bench. Happy Reading!
Links to Jennifer’s website, blog, books, etc.
Barnes and Noble http://bit.ly/1QlIGRB
**SPECIAL GIVEAWAY**: Jennifer is giving away a copy of THE SECRET LIFE OF ANNA BLANC by Jennifer Kincheloe. Comment on her **Author Peek** Interview or Karen’s Killer Book Bench blogs for a chance to win. Thank you, Jennifer, for sharing your story with us.
Don’t miss the chance to read this book!