**Author Peek** Interview with AJ CARELL
DEATH, LIES & DUCT TAPE
A.J. Carella, D.F. Bailey, Mark Dawson, Molly Greene, Helen Hanson, Libby Fischer Hellmann, Seeley James, Catherine Lee, Mark McKay, Joe McNally, John Mefford, Kerry Donovan, Ian Sutherland, A.J. Stewart
1. What appeals to you about the genre that you write?
It seems a strange thing to say, and one that could probably get me arrested in any other scenario (ha!), but I’ve always been interested in murder and serial killers. I think that’s what drew me to working for the police for many years and then, later, doing a law degree at university. My book shelves are full of books about the worst of the worst.
2. Are you a plotter or a pantser (one who writes “by the seat of your pants”)?
I’m a wannabe plotter. I start off with the best of intentions and plot the first few chapters and then I just dive in and see where the book takes me. I haven’t given up on the plotting though. My next book is a psychological thriller and I’m determined that I will plot than one out in full!
3. What is your favorite part of writing?
Typing THE END. 😊 Seriously, that is a great part but actually my favorite part is before the writing starts. When my imagination is coming up with a plot and I can do whatever I want to do. That excites me.
4. If you had to give up writing and do something else, what would you do instead?
Be a serial killer? Haha I really don’t know. I’m training other writers now so I’d probably just concentrate on that aspect. That is incredibly satisfying too!
5. What’s your favorite meal of the day?
The one that I remember! I quite often forget to eat when I’m busy.
6. Which are your favorite characters to write, the female characters or the male characters? Why?
The male characters. I like to make them human, imbue them with some strong values – though not all of them of course. But conversely, I love making the female characters bad. All too often we think of women as the weaker sex, the kinder sex and that doesn’t always hold true. I like to show that.
7. If you had a superpower, what would it be, and how would you use it?
I would love to be able to breathe in space. I’m intrigued by the universe beyond our own planet. I would love to be able to travel through space and investigate other worlds … see what’s out there.
8. Many writers dream of having the ideal location to write. If you could live anywhere in the world or live a particular lifestyle, where would you be answering these questions right now?
Ah that’s easy. I’d be in a gorgeous house in the mountains in Switzerland with views of snow-capped peaks from every window disturbed only by the sounds of cow bells.
9. Do you have any rejection stories to share? Reviews that meant something special to you?
Unfortunately my childhood wasn’t great. I lived a good life, I didn’t go without, but I had a very mentally abusive father (still do). I grew up being told that I was worthless and stupid – in fact it has never stopped. My very first five star review meant everything to me. It couldn’t undo the damage that had been done, but it validated me. Proved to me that I was good at this and that he was wrong. It’s been a few years now since that review but I printed it out and it hangs on my office wall as a reminder.
10. Tell us about your next book & when is it being published?
My next book is called The Interview. It’s a psychological thriller. A man takes his young son on a cruise where he vanishes and the father is accused of his murder. All is not what it seems though!
It will be released later this year – that’s the plan anyway!
Be sure to come back to learn more about A.J.’s novel in the DEATH, LIES & DUCT TAPE box set, as well as sneak peeks into her co-author’s novels, on Wednesday’s Karen’s Killer Book Bench blog.
Links to A.J.’s website, blog, books, etc.