**Author Peek** Interview with DONNA SCHLACHTER
THE PONY EXPRESS ROMANCE COLLECTION:
Historic Express Mail Route Delivers Nine Inspiring Romances
By Barbara Tifft Blakey, Mary Davis, Darlene Franklin, Cynthia Hickey, Maureen Lang, Debby Lee, Donna Schlachter, Connie Stevens & Pegg Thomas
Before we get started talking about your writing, tell us a little about yourself, where you’re from, what you do for a living (if you’re not a full-time writer) what hobbies you have, etc. Whatever you’d like to share to introduce yourself.
I live in Denver with husband Patrick, my first-line editor and biggest fan. I write historical suspense/romance under my own name, and contemporary suspense under my alter ego of Leeann Betts. I am a hybrid author who has published a number of books under my pen name and under my own name. My current release, Echoes of the Heart, a 9-in-1 novella collection titled “Pony Express Romance Collection” released April 1. I am also a ghostwriter and editor of fiction and non-fiction, and I judge in a number of writing contests. I will be teaching an online course for American Christian Fiction Writers in June 2017, “Don’t let your subplots sink your story”. I love history and research, and I travel extensively for both.
1. What appeals to you about the genre that you write? I love history and I love mysteries, because I have a strong sense of justice and I’m nosy.
2. Are you a plotter or a pantser (one who writes “by the seat of your pants”)? I am a plotter, and I used to do character charts and plot charts and all the rest – but I’ve recently learned that a good synopsis can get me through to The End.
3. What is your favorite part of writing? I love writing The End.
4. If you had to give up writing and do something else, what would you do instead? Anything that would give voice to the stories in my head. Maybe read to children.
5. What’s your favorite meal of the day? Anything that includes food. 🙂 Seriously, dinner. I like meat. And potatoes. And corn. No spinach or beets.
6. Which are your favorite characters to write, the female characters or the male characters? Why? I prefer writing the male characters. Not sure why, except they don’t look at romance in the same ooshy-gooshy way, and that’s more like me.
7. If you had a superpower, what would it be, and how would you use it? I would be able to hear and remember people’s conversations. I don’t know how many times I’ve tried eavesdropping in a restaurant, for example, but then somebody at my table will ask a question and I lose what those other people were saying. I would use my superpower to write unbelievably real dialogue.
8. Many writers dream of having the ideal location to write. If you could live anywhere in the world or live a particular lifestyle, where would you be answering these questions right now?
Somewhere warm. With either a beach or a lake outside my office. And somebody else looking after the house and cooking meals. And shopping for me. So I could just write. And read.
9. Do you have any rejection stories to share? Reviews that meant something special to you?
I once went to a writers conference and pitched my cozy mystery series, and the editor said, “Nobody wants to read about accountants. They’re boring.” Which is where I got the tagline for my series 🙂
10. Tell us about your next book & when is it being published? I am currently writing two more novellas for Barbour Books which will come out in January 2018 and February 2018. My next cozy mystery under my pen name, Leeann Betts, comes out in June.
Be sure to come back to learn more about Donna ETAL’s novel, THE PONY EXPRESS ROMANCE COLLECTION on Wednesday’s Karen’s Killer Book Bench blog.
Links to Donna’s website, blog, books, etc.
Echoes of the Heart: http://amzn.to/2lBaqcW