Before we get started talking about your writing, tell us a little about yourself, where you’re from, what you do for a living (if you’re not a full-time writer) what hobbies you have, etc. Whatever you’d like to share to introduce yourself.
Award-winning author, Vicki Batman, has sold many romantic comedy works to the True magazines, several publishers, and most recently, two romantic comedy mysteries to The Wild Rose Press. She is a member of Romance Writers of America, Sisters in Crime, and several writing groups. An avid Jazzerciser. Handbag lover. Mahjong player. Yoga practitioner. Movie fan. Book devourer. Chocoaholic. Best Mom ever. And adores Handsome Hubby. Most days begin with her hands set to the keyboard and thinking “What if??”
1. What appeals to you about the genre that you write?
I write contemporary romantic comedy. I think this genre is a natural extension of myself. My fingers just fly and I let it roll out.
2. Are you a plotter or a pantser (one who writes “by the seat of your pants”)?
I’m a Plotster. I have a general idea of plot: Hook, Middle, Black Moment, and Happily Ever After. BUT I let my mind take me through those stages until the end-pantster. Plot+ster=Plotster
3. What is your favorite part of writing?
I really love getting down a dirty first draft. I work and work until I’m sick of the story. Set aside and move on to a new project. Then I go back and work some more. It’s slow, but what works for me.
4. If you had to give up writing and do something else, what would you do instead?
I’d probably work in retail, like an antique mall. I like old things.
5. What’s your favorite meal of the day?
Breakfast. I eat half a grapefruit, small glass of milk, and half a bagel just about every day. But if there’s bacon….yum.
6. Which are your favorite characters to write, the female characters or the male characters? Why?
Truly, I like writing both. I like figuring out what makes each tick, their secrets, and imagining what they look like. The quirkier ones are usually the funniest.
7. If you had a superpower, what would it be, and how would you use it?
I’m already Batman; so I do have great toys. However, if I wasn’t Batman, I’d bring peace to all.
8. Many writers dream of having the ideal location to write. If you could live anywhere in the world or live a particular lifestyle, where would you be answering these questions right now?
I’m happy at my desk at home. During the day, there’s quiet. I have lovely scenery outside my window. Squirrels and birds hang out in the bushes. It’s really lovely.
9. Do you have any rejection stories to share? Reviews that meant something special to you?
Once, I got a contest score back and a judge had written “why do you write?” I sobbed. And sobbed. Then two days later, I decided that no one can define me, but me. So I got back to work. So ultimately, the judge did me a favor.
At RomCon, a young lady came up to me in a shy way and said she had read everything I’d written. That gave me tears too.
10. Tell us about your next book & when is it being published?
In 2016, The Wild Rose Press will be publishing Temporarily Insane. This romantic comedy mystery picks up from Temporarily Employed.
Be sure to come back to read more about Vicki and her story, “Holiday Handbag Extravaganza, in the SEASON OF SURPRISES HOLIDAY BOX SET, on Wednesday’s Karen’s Killer Book Bench. Happy Reading!
Links to Vicki’s website, blog, books, etc.
Find Vicki Batman at:
Find Season of Surprises at:
Find Season of Surprises:
Don’t miss the chance to read this book!
Thanks, Vicki, for sharing your story with us!!