Welcome to my Friday bonus feature called Karen’s Killer Fixin’s **Author Special**!! Today, in lieu of one of my own recipes, I’m going to introduce you to a new author who will share one of her favorite recipes. Not only will you and I occasionally learn how to make something new and delicious, but we’ll get a chance to check out some wonderful authors. Introducing author, CHARLENE JOHNSON, and her favorite recipe for FISH TACOS!
CHANGING THE RULES
The Sterling Wood Series Book Two
BY CHARLENE JOHNSON
Party girl, socialite, town slut, whore. Stephanie Xavier heard it all and in the past, she chose to ignore it. She was an Xavier and played by a different set of rules. But those rules were changed by a tragedy she could never forget. Leaving her past behind, she attempts to live a better life.
Craig Bagwell, the sexy owner of the local pub, is part of Stephanie’s past and her present. Craig was determined to control their relationship on his terms and vowed to never let her know how he really felt about her. Rich girls like her didn’t make ideal girlfriends or wives. He knew that firsthand.
Changing her life proves harder to do than Stephanie hoped. Someone in Sterling Wood has other plans. Plans that have deadly consequences.
Stephanie sat up in a cold sweat, her chest heaving. She had the nightmare again. It happened almost every night, robbing her of sleep. Every morning, she was exhausted. She grabbed the bottle of sleeping pills, screwed off the lid, and shook two pills into her hand. Then thinking better of it, she put the pills back and closed the lid.
Since her mother’s death six months ago, she relived the tragic events that unfolded the night of Sterling Wood’s Annual Halloween Charity Ball over and over. It was a night she would never forget. A night seared in her mind. A night she didn’t think she would ever be able to fully recover from. God, how long was the nightmare going to continue?
Charlene writes Paranormal Romance and Romantic Suspense/Thrillers. She lives on a farm outside of Colville, Washington.
She’s won the following books awards:
2020 Book Excellence Awards Finalist for Homecoming (Sterling Wood Series Book 1)
2020 Literary Titan Silver Award for Blown Away (The Crimes of Passion Series Book 2)
2021 Book Excellence Awards Finalist for Blown Away (The Crimes of Passion Series Book 2)
2021 Book Excellence Awards Finalist for Awakened ( Circle of the Red Scorpion Series – Book 5)
2021 Literary Titan Silver Award for Awakened ( Circle of the Red Scorpion Series – Book 5)
She is currently writing two paranormal romance series, Circle of the Red Scorpion and Circle of the Red Scorpion World, and a romantic suspense/thriller series, Sterling Wood. She also wrote a book for a multi-author romantic suspense/crime thriller series, Crimes of Passion, and several short stories for anthologies.
Books have always been Charlene’s passion. She started reading at an early age and progressed to full-length books by age nine. The first supernatural book series she read was Dark Shadows, and it sparked her interest in all things paranormal, with a spicy touch of romance mixed in for good measure. She also started writing poetry in grade school and continues to do so today. Being an avid reader, the consummate daydreamer, and an incurable romantic with a Cinderella complex, she started creating her characters and storylines because she realized she had her own stories to tell. She’s traveled the world, crossed galaxies, traveled through time, and explored history on the pages of books.
Besides reading and writing, she also enjoys photography, travel, music, great movies, and Elvis.
Links to Charlene’s website, blog, books, etc.:
I hope you enjoy the recipe Charlene is sharing today on Karen’s Killer Fixin’s. Happy Eating!
P.S. We’re at 526 recipes and counting with this posting. Hope you find some recipes you like. If this is your first visit, please check out past blogs for more Killer Fixin’s. In the right-hand column menu, you can even look up past recipes by type. i.e. Desserts, Breads, Beef, Chicken, Soups, Author Specials, etc.
How to Make Fish Tacos:
1. Line a large baking sheet with parchment or silicone liner. In a small dish, stir together seasonings: 1/2 tsp cumin, 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper, 1 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp black pepper and evenly sprinkle the seasoning mix over both sides of tilapia.
2. Lightly drizzle fish with olive oil and top each piece with a dot of butter. Baked at 375˚F for 20-25 min. If you want it to get a little browned around the edges, you can broil for 3-5 minutes at the end if desired.
3. Combine all the Taco sauce ingredients: 1/2 cup sour cream, 1/3 cup Mayo, 2 Tbsp lime juice (from 1 medium lime), 1 tsp garlic powder, 1 tsp Sriracha sauce, or to taste in a medium bowl or a large measuring cup and whisk together until well blended. It’s really fun and feels like dining out to serve the sauce in a squeeze bottle like this one.
4. To serve the tacos, toast quickly toast the corn tortillas on a large dry skillet or griddle over medium/high heat.
5. To assemble: start with the fish then add remaining ingredients finishing off with a generous sprinkle of cotija cheese and finally that awesome taco sauce! Serve with a fresh lime wedge to squeeze extra lime juice over tacos.
Fish Taco Ingredients:
Fish Taco Toppings:
- 1/2 small purple cabbage
- 2 medium avocado sliced
- 2 roma tomatoes diced (optional)
- 1/2 diced red onion
- 1/2 bunch Cilantro longer stems removed
4 oz 1 cup Cotija cheese, grated
- 1 lime cut into 8 wedges to serve
Fish Taco Sauce Ingredients:
Thanks, Charlene, for sharing your story and recipe with us!
Don’t miss the chance to read this book!