**Author Peek** Interview with LEEANN BETTS
Before we get started talking about your writing, tell us a little about yourself, where you’re from, what you do for a living (if you’re not a full–time writer) what hobbies you have, etc. Whatever you’d like to share to introduce yourself.
I am the alter-ego of author Donna Schlachter, who is a Canadian by birth and an American by choice. Donna refers to me as her “cute and perky” counterpart, and she likes to get me to do things she wouldn’t do herself, being the oldest sibling of five and raised as always having to set the example. Being the alter-ego is kind of cool, because I can get away with things—sort of like being the youngest, which I think Donna likes. In addition to writing, I/we also edit and ghostwrite professionally. An accountant by training, I/we love numbers because, as Carly says, “people might change, but numbers never do.”
1. How did you get started writing?
I think I’ve always liked writing, but I wrote my first full-length novel in 2002 for a National Novel Writing Month Challenge.
2. What appeals to you about the genre that you write?
I like mystery because it makes my brain work and I have a strong sense of justice. I write cozy mystery because I don’t like a lot of blood and gore.
3. What is your favorite part of writing?
Typing “The End”, although coming up with the idea and writing the synopsis is fun, too.
4. If you had to give up writing and do something else, what would you do instead?
Work in a library so I could surround myself with other people’s books.
5. What’s your favorite meal of the day?
Dinner, because that’s a meal where you can eat steak and not feel guilty or gluttonous.
6. Which are your favorite characters to write, the female characters or the male characters? The heroes and heroines, or the villains?
I like to write the male characters, because it seems like I can hear their voices better, and I really like writing villainous males, like stalkers. Creepy!
7. Are you an avid reader? When you do read someone else’s writing, what is your favorite genre?
I do read a lot. My favorite genre is cozy mystery, romantic suspense, and historical suspense/mystery.
8. Many writers dream of having the ideal location to write. If you could live anywhere in the world or live a particular lifestyle, where would you be answering these questions right now?
I’d love to have a small house on a beach where it’s warm/moderate temps year round.
9. If you were a color, what color would you be and why?
I’d be teal blue. It’s a happy color for me.
10. Tell us about your next book & when is it being published?
Hidden Assets is book 6 in the By the Numbers series, featuring Carly Turnquist, forensic accountant. It releases June 30th, and it’s set in a small town in Wyoming where Carly and Mike are visiting an old college friend of Carly’s, who is in the midst of a sticky divorce and suspects her husband is trying to hide assets from the divorce court.
Be sure to come back to learn more about Leeann’s novel, HIDDEN ASSETS, on Wednesday’s Karen’s Killer Book Bench blog.
Links to Leeann’s website, blog, books, etc.
**SPECIAL GIVEAWAY**: Leeann will give away an ebook or print (U.S. ONLY) copy of HIDDEN ASSETS to one reader who comments on her **Author Peek”” and Book Bench blogs, answering the following question: What kinds of deadlines do you give yourself? Thanks, Leeann, for sharing your book with us!
Don’t miss the chance to read this book!