KAREN’S KILLER BOOK BENCH: Welcome to Karen’s Killer Book Bench where readers can discover talented new authors and take a peek inside their wonderful books. This is not an age-filtered site so all book peeks are PG-13 or better. Come back and visit often. Happy reading!
A Rare and A Unknown World
BY SHAI AUGUST
Sally Ann Washington’s life has gone through major upheaval and she just spent a nail biting, cringe worthy Thanksgiving with her littermate’s new extended pride.
What she wants for the rest of her holidays is to find a little peace and quiet and maybe a little love between the pages of her favorite romance writer’s new book.
But her pushy mother has already purchased her a speed dating package at Camp Pounce. Can she speed date her books and ignore the hot guys trying to distract her out of the pages?
A Rare and A Unknown World
BY SHAI AUGUST
The clerk handed her an ink pen, a cheap Bic, not her favorite Pilot G-2. She wanted to hand it right back, nothing irritated her more than having to fill out a form with a terrible writing pen. “Before you enter Camp Pounce, we have some additional questions for you.”
“Wasn’t the online profile sufficient?” She stopped herself from saying the one my mother filled out. How her mother, Hurricane Thelma had convinced her father to convince her to come here was still beyond her understanding.
“Most of those are compatibility questions for matching purposes, these are a little more personal for the staff to make your time here at Camp Pounce a little easier.”
She took the clipboard. Stepping aside from the line, and attempting to fill out the form.
- What is your name? I’m SallyAnn Washington.
- Do you have a nickname? No. Nicknames are informal and my parents are formal people, but my brothers call me Hurricane Junior.
- Who is your best friend? My brothers who are also my littermates, Stanley and Chester.
- What kinds of things do you do when you’re together? We play poker. High stakes poker that involves dares.
- If you have a family, how do you get along with them? I love my father and my littermates unconditionally. I wish my mother and I weren’t so much alike because she beats on my buttons with a hammer to irritate me.
- Do you have a birthmark? Scars? Where is it? How did you get it? No scars. My animal is a panther and she’s super fanatical about scarring, but I do have a tattoo of The Eagle, Globe, and Anchor, the Marine emblem on my forearm. That I got when I retired after twenty years of serving.
- When you’re angry, what do you do? Where do you go? How do you deal with your anger? Books, I distract myself by escaping into fantasy worlds, because otherwise I’d probably shift and claw someone up.
- A penguin walks up to you, right now, wearing a sombrero. What does he say to you and why is he here? If I see a penguin and it is wearing a sombrero and it talks to me? I’ll be convinced that one of my brothers spiked my drink. I’ll need to find out with what because that’s obviously a good drink.
- What’s the one thing you’re afraid of losing? My family. Their love and approval mean the world to me.
- What makes you laugh out loud? I’ll take puns, droll, tomatoes, sight gags, blue, gallows, basically you name it!
- What’s your favorite food? My mother is from Alabama, so true soul food. My father is from Brazil and I appreciate the full Churrasco experience.
- What’s the one thing you want out of life that you don’t think you can have? Why can’t you have it? Love. I’m the worst at dating, hence why I’m here for this week of big cat shifter speed dating.
Handing the clipboard back to the staffer, she finished the check in process.
Shai August is a country girl with a big imagination, more than a touch of wanderlust and a never-ending desire to live in both an RV traveling the world and a library. Her love language is words of affirmations followed by books, bacon and bourbon.
She’s a born and bred Louisiana native, but has lived in ten states and visited forty-two. She is fluent in English, sarcasm and memes. Her goal is to write fast paced, character driven paranormal fiction featuring women of color.
Links to Shai’s website, blog, books, etc.
Author of Lust, Love & Adventure filled paranormal romances
Three Fortnights Press
Take a moment to read The Bachelor Series
Shai is also the co-editor of the Shifted into Love Anthologies – Hotel California
Thanks, Shai, for sharing your book with us!
Don’t miss the chance to read this book!